Saturday, August 4, 2012

Best Menopause Exercises

During menopause, many women find that they need to find new ways of combating weight gain. As the levels of estrogen decrease, the metabolism slows down and this is what makes the waist line expand. However, many workouts can bring on hot flashes and this makes it hard to get motivated  to do. So what can you do to manage your weight while keeping the hot flashes at bay? Keep reading to find out the answer! Getting a water workout is a fantastic way to tone up your muscles, burn extra calories and stay nice and cool. Swimming is a great way to get exercise and can be done in any body of water. If you have access to an indoor pool you can use this as a workout all year long! Other water workouts include water skiing, diving, surfing and aerobics.

Biking, hiking and walking are also great ways to get a workout no matter your age. The thing that is important to remember is that you should warm up before doing any of these workouts so you can keep your heart rate in its target range for no more than a half an hour. If you find that these  activities trigger hot flashes, do them when the weather is cool or in an air conditioned gym. Dress in clothing that is light and airy, and also wear layers so you can shed them when needed. The best workout clothing is made of cotton; nylon and polyester should be avoided at all costs!

During the winter you can try skiing, hockey, curling and snowshoeing. They require you to be in cold weather, so dress warmly even though a hot flash may ensue. It is important not to get overheated but you do not want to get cold and clammy either as this can cause illness. So, stay hydrated and keep dressed properly – most of all have fun!Keep these tips in mind while working out so you can keep the hot flashes at a minimum and bring your enjoyment level to an all-time high:
  • Keep your hair pulled back and up off of your neck
  • Apply deep breathing if you feel a hot flash coming on
  • Dress in layers
  • Stay away from drinks containing caffeine before your workout
  • Rest when your body tells you to
  • Warm up and cool down
  • Keep hydrated
Kuhl Care's menopause product can also help provide some relief. Do not let your hot flashes keep you from working out so you can look and feel your best. If you follow these tips you can feel like your old self again!

I received compensation for this sponsored post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers.

7 comments:

  1. I will keep these tips in mind for the future! Thanks for share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great tips! I will remember these for future reference when I hit that dreaded menopause stage ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused -- are you going through menopause right after having a baby? Or are you a fitness professional? Just curious what is your personal link to this topic? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not currently going through menopause but I know some women who read my blog are and wanted to add useful content for them. My mother is actually going through menopause at 49 and the tips above are some that also have been recommended by her doctor.

      Delete
  4. Trisha ~ Thank you for sharing that contextual info. It enhances my enjoyment and appreciation of your post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome information. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have done a GREAT job of listing various activities and exercise to help women entering this stage of life. I know someone who will be very soon, I am going to share it with her. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis