Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Lice Nightmare

I never in my life thought I'd be writing about this subject but I want to share my experience with other parents. If you ever had them, you know what a pain it is to get rid of them. If you never had them, well, I hope that you never get them. 

One of the common misconceptions is that only people who are "dirty" and children can contract lice. WRONG! Anyone can get them, even the cleanliest person. From what I've heard and read, it's more common for elementary school children to contract them and is spread by head to head contact. The best way to try to avoid getting lice is to make sure your child doesn't share hats, combs, brushes, clothing or any type of bedding.  
  
My husband is the one who discovered one of the super teenie tiny bugs in Baby E's hair. I did some research and found that those tiny bugs were nymphs, which are baby lice. I immediately called the pediatrician to schedule an appointment. After careful inspection of my own, insanely thick hair, I found that I had adult lice and nits. 

I felt like screaming. I actually cried. I've never had lice in my life, not even as a child. How I contracted them, I have absolutely no idea. We haven't been sharing clothing or in contact with any children who had these critters. It will forever be a mystery.

After confirming what we thought, Baby E's pediatrician wrote us a prescription for a shampoo that was safe to use on infants. The doctor explained how common lice were and the crazy amount of cases she's treated. She said its basically an epidemic in elementary schools.  

I really didn't want to use any type of chemicals on myself or my daughter but ended up buying the prescribed medication anyway. I followed the directions carefully but after a day, I noticed Baby E still had nymphs in her hair. The over the counter treatment I was using for myself didn't seem to help much either. After a lot of reading, I discovered a more natural way that is said to be very effective. I used olive oil to remove the lice and vinegar to get rid of the nits. I'm now going to share with you exactly what I did to get rid of these nastyyyyy parasites. 

First, I covered my scalp and hair with the olive oil. I then wrapped plastic wrap around my head to cover all of my hair in order to suffocate the lice. I sat with it in my hair for 2 hours and rinsed, trying to get as much of the olive oil as I could out of my hair. 

I combed the knots out of my hair using a detangling comb and when I was finished getting the tangles out, I parted my hair in small portions and used a metal nit comb on my damp hair. 

A few hours later, after my hair had fully dried, I soaked my hair in white vinegar to loosen and kill and nits in my hair. After leaving it in for a few minutes (10-15), I rinsed it out and washed my hair in baby shampoo. I then used the nit comb again to comb out whatever nits were left. 

I repeated this whole process 2 days later then again after 7 days.  

With Baby E, I was given the ok to use the olive oil from her pediatrician. I basically went through the same process I had gone through with myself but left the olive oil in her hair for about an hour. Instead of plastic wrap, I used a sun hat on her head. I was lucky and E wasn't bothered by it much. She tried pulling the hat off twice but was easily distracted with toys. 

Treating the lice on our heads wasn't the end. Both my husband and I vacuumed like crazy! We vacuumed anything and everything including the couch, chairs, bassinet, bed, etc. I also did what seemed like a million loads of laundry. I would wash our bedding and clothes at least every other day. I wish I could have done wash every day but we live in an apartment building and it costs us $2.25 per wash and dry. We spent about $30 on laundering. 

If you ever find that you or your child has lice, I highly encourage you to consult your doctor or pediatrician if you are considering trying this method. I also recommend checking out http://headlicecenter.com/ which had a lot of great suggestions and information! 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this - we haven't had any issues, but it's nice to know what to do if it happens. I'd be horrified too. I HATE bugs... This might be a bizarre question in context, but did you notice any change to your hair (texture, shine, etc) after the oil/vinegar treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After using the olive oil my hair was pretty soft, smooth and was shiny. I made sure I got as much of the oil out as possible otherwise it probably would have been pretty greasy. E's hair was super soft also.

    The vinegar totally dried out my hair and it was a pain to comb out. What I didn't mention is that the second time I used vinegar, when washing it out I used a little bit of conditioner after shampooing to get the knots out. But, my hair was still super dry.

    The vinegar didn't have the same effect on E's hair. Her hair remained soft after washing.

    Hope this answers your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It stinks that you guys had lice ... I remembered getting them once as a child. The shampoo we used back then was horrible. It burned a little and smelled like tar, bleck! I'm thrilled to know that there is a natural alternative out there. I'm sure we're going to experience this at some point or another with Jonah. Lice are basically the chicken pox equivalent; they're almost a right of passage ... just a really gross one. You're right about it being a common misconception that lice tend to hang out on the dirtiest of heads; on the contrary, lice actually prefer clean hair. It's easier to move through and cling too. Dealing with lice is definitely a task, I'm sorry that you guys had to go through it.

    Thanks for the tips!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had lice when I was little! :/ It wasn't fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.
    Stopping by from the Friday Hops to say hello.
    Have a great day!
    POSH
    http://poshonabudget.com/2011/10/friday-friend-connect-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this info! Definitely something we need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for bringing this to light. It's treated like leprosy and that's always been detrimental.

    It only takes one child in a classroom to get them and, before you know it, every child gets them. At first, most parents are horrified, thinking, "Not my child!" But the reality is, no one is immune.

    I remember when the nurse would send home notes to everyone in a classroom saying "Lice had been detected on a child in the classroom. Please treat your children accordingly."

    I'm your newest follower. Please stop by and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Touch wood only one of my boys has had eggs once. I ended up literally cutting them out of his hair!! A natural method to help further prevention of lice is to put some tea tree oil in leave-in conditioner and regularly comb that through the hair. Glad you were able to get rid of the nasty little bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a mother here, but I had those bugs once when I was really young, mom had to buy an anti-lice shampoo and comb em off. What a bummer! So glad you got rid of them.

    Thanks for stopping by btw, followin you back now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can remember getting them as a child. I hope that my girls never get it, but this is great advice!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and the follows!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis