When I worked as a Infant caregiver at a nursery school, I dealt with a lot babies who were cutting teeth and became aware of the signs and symptoms of teething. On top of being extra fussy, E started drooling excessively and gnawing at (or "gumming" as I call it) her hands and toys. I quickly figured out what was going on.
I had a hard time trying to find more natural ways to soothe E. Most teething toys were a little too hard on her gums and the same goes for the frozen teethers.
After testing out different remedies, I've compiled a small list of what has been working for us.
Frozen pacifier
I remembered when I worked at the nursery, we would freeze the pacifiers of teething babies. You can either wet then freeze it or pop in the freezer without wetting. I love this method because a frozen pacifier is softer then regular frozen teething rings.
Soft toys
E has a few soft teething toys that she loves to use! Her favorite is a dog teether made by Bright Starts. The dog has teethable feet and a plush body that crinkles! It's also a rattle! E loved it so much we ended up getting a second one for back up.
We also have a organic cotton Ring bear made by Under the Nile that E uses. Under the Nile carries an assortment of teething toys that can be found here.
Frozen or cold wash cloth
A frozen wash cloth can be great for sore gums. Just wet the cloth in cold water, wring out, and place in the freezer. My little one doesn't like her wash cloth frozen so I leave it in the freezer for just a few minutes. I suggest experimenting with frozen and not-so-frozen to see what your baby likes best!
Hyland's Teething Gel
I heard amazing things about Hyland's Teething Tablets but had such a hard time finding them in stores. Hyland voluntarily took them off the market a few months ago but recently re-released them. While searching for Teething Tablets, I came across Hyland's Teething Gel. I figured since I couldn't find the tablets I'd try the gel. I have to say it worked great in soothing E's swollen gums! Combined with a frozen pacifier, E was calmed (and stay calmed) in minutes! I was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of the gel!
Now that I've shared what teething remedies work best for E, What works (or worked) best for your baby?
Thursday, August 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






























All great suggestions. The only one teething here is the puppy. Do you have any suggestions for her? So happy to be past that stage. We're in the baby-teeth-falling-out stage...x2.
ReplyDeleteOMG last night we had the teething night from hell. Road the couch last night.....Nothing was working until I gave her some Hylands Teething Drops she fell asleep about 1/2 hour later. The mollars are the worst! Good luck
ReplyDeleteRachele- When my mom's puppy was teething, We would give him ice cubes and frozen fruits and veggies! His favorite was frozen apples .
ReplyDeleteThe Tooth fairy must be visiting your house a lot ;)
Thanks Ciao! Oh no! Good luck with the molars =( I really hope i'll eventually find Hyland's Teething Tablets. Looks like I'm going to have to buy them online. Tried 5 different stores and none of them had it in stock.
ReplyDeleteWith the wash cloth thing, we've actually taken a little tiny soft toy, wet the corner of the toy, put it in the freezer and done that too. It works great but I've found also that each baby sooth's their pain differently. My son didn't like cold teething rings, but the other baby I watched loved them. I've also heard that putting an ice cube in one of those mesh baby feeder things will help with teething also.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just wanted to let you know I am a new blog follower. I am following on Networked blogs. Would love for you to check my blog out sometime. :)
Heather From and Mommy Only Has 2 Hands!
My sweet girl is starting to teeth as we speak. I have never thought of the frozen paci. I'm going to try that with her. Thanks for posting these tips (b/c I know nothing about teething lol).
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I am past the teething stage with my youngest. My mom always believed in giving the baby a bone to or jerky gnaw on. Of course nowadays that is not acceptable.;-)
ReplyDeleteDorothy
http://alaskanbookie.blogspot.com/
Twitter -->> @akchocoholic
Frozen teething rings and Baby Orajel used to bring peace in the household when my daughter was a baby. She did great with teething, though. I'm lucky.
ReplyDeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteI recommend Baltic Amber Teething necklaces as a natural way to treat teething. They work by releasing natural oils when in contact with the warmth of the skin. The oils have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects.
I got mine from http://www.wildsheep.co.uk