Monday, August 22, 2011

Music & Movement Monday: Freeze Dance!

I've decided to add a weekly music and movement feature! Every Monday, I'll post a new music and/or movement activity that promotes fine and/or large motor development! I've chosen a simple but classic activity to start off this feature with.

Freeze Dance!

Freeze dance is a fun activity for all ages and promotes large motor development. When I was working with toddlers and preschoolers, We played freeze dance often and it was a great way for the kids to get out some energy. I've also played with my 4 month old and when we "freeze," She laughs and giggles! So, when I say it's an activity for any age, I really do mean any age!

Freeze dance is also a great game for birthday parties, sleepovers, and other gatherings! But, You don't need a group of children to participate, You can always play with your family. 

Before you start, Make sure that the area you'll be using for this activity is free of obstructions and things that can be easily broken. A playroom or outside in a backyard would be the ideal places for a game of freeze dance.

Materials needed:
-Music
-Radio (or something else to play music on, I use my computer and music from my iTunes)

Directions:
1. Start the music and have children dance and move around. 

2. When the music is paused, the children will "freeze" in whatever position that they were dancing in! 

3. After a few moments, start the music again and repeat.

With older children, You can apply rules. For example, If anyone moves while being "frozen", they are out of the game. The children who are "out" can take turns pausing the music and help monitor the other children who are still playing. To change it up a little, you can have the children dance like different animals or have them dance to different tempos (slow, medium, fast).


Have any suggestions for Music & Movement Monday? I would love for you to email me at MommaTBlog@gmail.com!

1 comment:

  1. My kids love to play that. They do the craziest moves in hopes of getting "frozen" in one.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis