Sunday, September 25, 2011

Homemade Bubble Solution

Baby E loves when I blow bubbles. Her facial expressions when she sees the bubbles are precious and when she's cranky or moody, Blowing bubbles instantly soothes her.

The other day I ran out of bubbles (yes, it's possible to run out) and instead of buying a new bottle, I decided to make my own. After rummaging through my old lesson plans, I finally found the directions for making my favorite bubble solution!


Sugar Bubbles

What you need:
2 cups of warm water
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of dishwashing liquid
bowl

Directions:
1. Mix sugar and warm water in a bowl.
2. When sugar has fully dissolved and water has cooled, add dishwashing liquid and mix.
3. Store bubbles.

I store my bubbles in an empty beverage bottle like the one I used for the musical shakers. If you choose to use this type of bottle, instead of using a bowl, you can just mix ingredients in the bottle by shaking it up. When I'm ready to use the bubbles, I pour them into a small dish.

You can also store your bubbles in a no-spill tumbler. These tumblers are great for toddlers and preschoolers and prevent bubbly messes. You can find them in retail stores or online.

Unfortunately my bubbles didn't come out as expected, I think it might have been the dishwashing liquid I used. I normally use Dawn original but I had none on hand. I was able to create some giant bubbles so it wasn't a total loss!


Here are some other bubble recipes I've tried and have worked well in the past:

Baby Bubbles

What you need:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup baby shampoo
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions: 

Mix water, shampoo, and corn syrup together. Store in sealed container.

Glycerin Bubbles

What you need:
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid
1 tablespoon glycerin
1 teaspoon of light corn syrup

Directions: 

Combine all ingredients and mix. Make sure to store them in a sealed container.

5 comments:

  1. I love bubbles. Always have since I was a kid. Love that my kids love them now too. I am def going to have to try some of these out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing....I will be using this with my nieces and nephews. ☺

    Thank you for the follow as well, gladly returning the follow. Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being followed! By me... from the mom blog monday hop! I'm curious about the sugar and corn syrup... I'm sure there's a good reason for them right? enlighten me. Lol.
    Melissa
    http://WhatMommyWants.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/What-Mommy-Wants/180386462025318
    http://twitter.com/#!/WhatMommyWants

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa- The corn syrup and sugar give the solution a thicker consistency for longer lasting bubbles =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for following my blog Mama's Baby Cupcakes. I'm now following you back via GFC

    I'll have to try this bubble mix sometime. My daughter was just asking me yesterday to go buy bubbles lol

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis