Saturday, January 5, 2013

January is National Bath Safety Month! #BathSafety

E loves bath time and taking a bath is probably one of her favorite things to do! I always make sure to stay close while E plays in the tub because accidents can happen in an instant and it's always better to be safe than sorry, Am I right? Even the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends, "Never – even for a moment – leave small children alone or in the care of another young child while in bathtubs..."

Some precautions we have taken to make sure that our bathroom is secure is for one, Keeping our bathroom door closed at all time unless it's opened by and occupied by and adult. In this particular post I will be discussing bath tub safety and some measures I take to ensure E's safety while bathing.

Bath water temperature
Always make sure to test the temperature of the bath water before placing your child in. It's best to wait until the you're finished filling the tub before testing. 


We use a Munchkin White Hot Super Safety Bath Ducky to help determine whether or not the bath water is too hot for E. The White Hot disc at the bottom of the ducky tells you when the water is too hot to handle, then lets you know when it's just right to bathe.



The White Hot Super Safety Bath Ducky was one of the BEST baby shower gifts I received! E is now 21 months old and we have been using this Bath Ducky since her birth. Not only is the Bath Ducky a great tool, it's fun to play with at bath time. Unlike other ducky's, The White Hot Super Safety Bath Ducky is watertight so it wont sink or mildew!

Cover the Spout
Another item we received for E's Baby shower way back when was a Munchkin Bubble Ducky Spout Guard. Simply place the soft and cushiony guard over your bathtub faucet to help protect your child against bumps and burns from the faucet. A fun feature of this paticular guard is that the top can be lifted so that you can pour in bubble bath for sudsy fun!

 

Some other spout covers I've come across are made by Boon, Skip Hop, Safety 1st, amd Puj but the most reasonably priced one I've seen is the one I have from Munchkin.   

Non-Slip Bath Mats or Tub Treads
As much as I try to convince E that she needs to sit in the bath tub, sometimes she just prefers to stand. To keep her from slipping and falling while in the tub, I've placed tub treads at the bottom of the tub. The non-slip surface keep her safe while adding a fun accent. Most treads have a soft suction bottom and are washable. Some treads are more permanent though. 

You can also use a non-slip bath mat which usually have soft suction cups at the  bottom which secure the mat to the bottom of your tub. 

What precautions do you take to keep your Bathroom or bath tub safe for your children?

Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post and I did not receive any compensation for writing it. All opinions are mine alone and may differ from those of your own. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

"Drowning" healthychildren.org. October 12, 2012 <http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2010/11/how-to-cite-something-you-found-on-a-website-in-apa-style.html>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis